Milton - A Brief History
Founded as a rural settlement and private township in 1860, Milton was earlier known as ‘The Settlement’ by the local farmers, and the Ulladulla harbour from which their produce was shipped to Sydney was known as the ‘Boat Harbour’.
Earlier, Aboriginal tribes had inhabited the area, but when white settlement began in the 18th century the original inhabitants were either killed or displaced and sadly their stories were lost.
Economic prosperity soon came to Milton and as early as 1866 magnificent homesteads, schools and churches were built. The architectural style of the principal civic and commercial buildings is ‘Italianate’ while the churches are simple ‘Gothic’ in style.
Milton has a number of historic homes, notably Claydon Park, the home of Sarah Claydon, the district’s very own Florence Nightingale; the Wesleyan Methodist Manse, used by the coast-watchers in WWII; the old Thomson’s Bakery, formerly a bank; Legacy House (circa 1875) and the present home of Legacy; the old lighthouse keeper’s cottage; and the Rainbow Pie shop on the corner of Princes Highway and Croobyar Road (circa 1870).
Stroll down the main street from the north end of town and you will pass the giant fig tree in Mick Ryan Reserve, one of the town’s well-known landmarks. Beyond the park overlooking lush rural pastures are the Budawang Ranges where Milton’s most prominent landmark, Pigeon House Mountain, is found. The superb Pointer Gap Lookout and picnic area with heath flowering beautifully in spring and summer can be accessed via the Pointer Gap Road turn-off on the Princes Highway, 8kms north of Milton.